When dictator Robert Mugabe was removed from power in a military coup, the generals promised they would not seize control for themselves but would ensure democracy in a national election. Against a backdrop of economic crisis, food shortages, and political violence, the stakes could not be higher.
Working to defeat the ruling party, which has controlled Zimbabwe since independence, is the young and charismatic Nelson Chamisa, who draws comparisons to a young Nelson Mandela in expressing the country’s utmost desire to be “governed” and not “ruled”. After decades of a corrupt elite clinging to power using any tool available—legal or not—can a free, fair, and credible election be truly possible?
As the follow-up to her widely acclaimed 2014 documentary DEMOCRATS, Camilla Nielsson brings viewers into the heart of the struggle for power with stunningly close access and unhesitating courage, in a nation closely monitored by the entire world. President is a riveting and epic reminder that, while individuals and their specific ideals may differ, the fight for democracy is never-ending and of profound significance everywhere.
Language: Shona, English
- Name in Original Language: President
- Director: Camilla Nielsson
- Country: USA, Denmark, Norway
- Year: 2021
- Length: 115 min
- Cinematography: Henrik Bohn Ipsen
- Editing: Jeppe Bødskov
- Music: Jonas Bjerre
- Production: Signe Byrge Sørensen (The Act of Killing, The Look of Silence), Joslyn Barnes (Strong Island, Hale County This Morning, This Evening)
- Tartu Elektriteater: Tuesday, 1.02 - 20:45
- Cinema Artis, hall 1: Thursday, 3.02 - 20:15
- Cinema Sõprus: Sunday, 6.02 - 17:30